Monday, April 2, 2012

The Heart of the Home

I shared the story of the house as a whole. Today I want to talk about the kitchen. When we moved in it looked like this. 



The walls were taupe, accented with a not so lovely brick red wall and shelves (the very same paint that was used in the basement). The countertops were ugly and stained and the floors were thick with dirty linoleum. 



I fell in love with the idea of having an orange kitchen so we painted it immediately, like the day after we got the keys. A few years later we replaced the countertop with custom recycled wood reclaimed by A Piece of Cleveland and put in a new sink. We also refinished the wood floors and stained them a dark brown. They are amazing. 


It's been 6 years with an orange kitchen and it's time for a fresh coat of paint. We wanted to brighten it up and also make it feel bigger so we went with a white. 


I've been reluctant to change the color because I love it and I'm a creature of habit but my husband forced my hand last week. I came home to this...so now we are painting. It was harder than I thought it would be to pick out a neutral color. Especially since we were putting up the samples on the orange walls. Once the primer was up it was much easier. We kept the light blue shelves as they and rearranged some of the many things that clutter up a  kitchen.








It took about a week for us to get used to it but now I think it looks pretty good. Very white, but good. Enjoy your Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment