Friday, April 6, 2012

To Market, To Market


Tomorrow is the first day of the outside season of the North Union Farmer's Market at Shaker Square! This is by far our favorite place to go, there is nothing better! We have a routine that goes like this: Up and out early, fill our mugs with coffee at Dewey's, and grab a scone from Lucy's Sweet Surrender, then we hit up the rest of the stands. Or if it's a special day there might be a food truck there so we treat ourselves to that!

I love the market because it's inspiring! It makes me want to learn how to cook with all these fresh, new ingredients. I love to talk to the vendors and ask their opinion on cooking techniques too. I want to support local growers and do my best to buy what they have to offer. This week I'll be on the look out for ramps and mushrooms!




Now with the babe in tow, the mornings are even more adventurous! Last summer was all about finding new foods for him to try. Making his food was easy when we started with fresh, local ingredients. 


We buy our plants for our little garden there too. These beautiful tomatoes plants came from Ridge Bridge Farm







When we travel we always try to check out local farmer's markets. While in Seattle everyone is sure to make a stop here. We were there for a week and I think we went 5 times!

                                 Image Source

The Santa Monica Farmer's Market is huge! We went on a sunny Wednesday morning and ogled the amazing produce! There were things there that I have never seen before! I can't find any of the photos that I took while there but imagine a busy street packed with vendors and fresh produce! Oh, and did I mention that you can see the ocean!

And I can't forget to mention the amazing Green City Market in Lincoln Park in Chicago. This place is inspiring! It's huge and has great food to get on the spot, freshly made smoothies from the fruit farmers, and fried cheese curd! We have also gone to Independence Park Market in Irving Park where our lovely friends live. It also has some pretty awesome food on the spot and a good variety of fresh produce too!

So here's a good growing season and a very Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. All that fresh produce! I'm hoping to go to a farmer's market sometime soon too! We can swap notes. :)
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky yo live very close to one and try to go weekly. The most notable find this last week was ramp pesto and mushroom linguini! I'd love to see what you are cooking.

      Delete