Thursday, April 26, 2012

On the Table: Vegan Quinoa Bowl



Lunch is that meal in the day that I constantly struggle with. Almost everyday at 11:00 I start rummaging around looking for a healthy, fast, and filling meal. More often than not I do not end up with something that fits all three of those stipulations. Scrambled eggs and grilled cheese are my go to and I've honestly had enough.

My mother-in-law is visiting and she mentioned how she likes to make a big batch of quinoa on a Sunday and then each day throw together a hearty salad and that seemed like something I could handle. So I present my version, and I do not mean to scare anyone away with the word vegan, trust me, it's good!

Ingredients
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
S&P

Avocado
Cucumber
Red pepper
Arugula, spinach, kale (whatever you have on hand)
Baked tofu

Now this does require some prep time but I swear it's easy. Combine the quinoa and water with a dash of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 15 minutes until the water is absorbed. Toss with vinegar and a little oil while still hot. Then set aside until you need it. You can just stick it in the fridge and portion it out each day.

I also diced and baked the tofu ahead of time in a 425 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes and had it on hand for later. You really can add whatever you want; beans, vegetables, pineapple, feta cheese, whatever sounds good to you! Dice up your vegetables, mix in a bowl together and add your greens. Then toss with a little vinegar (or lemon juice), olive oil, and salt and pepper. Enjoy your very healthy lunch. So far this week I've had the exact same salad each day, but I'm a creature of habit. Tell me, what are you going to make?


No comments:

Post a Comment