Monday, April 23, 2012

On the Table: Flax Seed Waffles


Baby boy loves some waffles. While his usual breakfast is scrambled eggs with spinach and a banana, lately, he (ok, we) have really been enjoying a quick frozen waffle. No big deal, right? Well some of the store bought ones are full of sodium and sometimes pricey. I suppose that's all relative depending on how you value your time. Me? I like to make things easy complicated. Enter the idea of just making a bunch of waffles and sticking them in the freezer for later. No biggie.


At first I found this recipe. As I was wandering the aisles at the store wondering where to find malted milk powder, I came across the waffle mix and decided to cut myself a little bit of a break. So I just bought the mix and some flax seeds and called it a day.

Ingredients
1 cup of waffle mix
2/3 cup + 1 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp honey
1 egg
1/4 cup flax seeds
2 Tbsp melted butter

Mix all the ingredients together until the lumps just disappear and cook! My biggest issue with this was my waffle iron sticking. My plan was to slightly under cook them so I could freeze them and then pop the in the toaster later, but the waffle iron was not agreeing with me. So they are pretty much cooked and then I'll just be sure not to crisp them up too much in the toaster.


They ended up looking really good and tasting delicious. Some of our favorite toppings are blackberry jam, butter with cinnamon and agave, and the old stand-by maple syrup. Eat 'em up!

No comments:

Post a Comment