Friday, May 25, 2012

On the Table: Orzo Salad




If you haven't already heard, lunch can be my nemesis. It's either heated up left overs or I'm scrambling to put something decent together at the last minute. I certainly have my good days though, when lunch is a breeze and I'm full and happy. But yesterday I had a peanut butter sandwich at 10:30 and then a bowl of chips at 2:00, that was not my best effort. So today is a fresh start and I made enough for tomorrow too! 



Ingredients
1 cup of Orzo pasta
1 diced red pepper
2 cloves of minced garlic
8 chopped olives
1 cup of frozen peas
Grated Parmesan
1 Tbsp dried dill
Salt & Pepper
Balsamic vinaigrette 

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add your orzo and cook for 7-9 minutes (or whatever the box instructs). While the pasta is cooking chop up all of your vegetables and put in a large bowl. Drain the pasta and add it to the bowl. Add your salad dressing while hot and mix in dill, salt and pepper as needed. Top with grated parmesan and stir. Put the whole thing in the refrigerator until cool. Then serve. This dish is so simple and tasty, it's crazy. It would be a perfect side to bring along to your Memorial Day picnics! Enjoy your weekend friends, and also remember to honor those that have served our country. 



3 comments: