Monday, May 14, 2012

Origami Lantern Lights




When I was in the third grade, our family friends hosted an exchange student from Japan. She was in high school and I thought she was probably the coolest person ever. She taught me some origami and I have retained the skill of making a paper crane all these years, some of the other things have escaped my mind over time. We continued to be pen pals for years after she left and I know she is still very close with the family she lived with.

This project was inspired by my love of paper crafts and also from a post I found here. I saw these string lights and thought, I can make those! Well, it turned out to be quite time consuming and messy. I would totally be on board with making just one giant light, but lots of little strings balls was too much. So when I saw this on Pinterest, I thought that I'd better get some origami paper and get started!




Materials
A string of Christmas lights, opt for a shorter strand so you don't have make 100!
Origami paper



Here is a great instructional video that can walk you right through the simple steps of making the paper balloon. Her instructions are really easy to follow.



I even enlisted the help of my darling husband, who made one and said his hands were too big for this project. But he hung in there and really liked the part when you blow up the balloon. Once you've made your balloons, you will see that each one has a little hole on top. Simply slide the light into the hole. String them up, and have a party!


Have a very happy Monday, friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment