Thursday, May 10, 2012

On The Table: Sandwiches Are Beautiful



My husband eats a turkey sandwich for lunch almost everyday. I ate them too when I was a meat eater but I have to say that I was never really a fan. That's not what I wanted when I opened my lunchbox, my lunchbox with my initials on it I might add. But not all sandwiches are created equally. Nothing is better than a fancy pants sandwich made by someone else. It's not unlikely that we end up with a regular old grilled cheese on the fly around here, but today is different. I was inspired by this one the other day but didn't have all the ingredients. So today I bring you The Queso Fresco Griller



Ingredients
I used 4 slices of an Italian loaf that was a little on the firmer side although a multigrain is usually what I have on hand
1/2 avocado
Handful of spinach
Crumbled queso fresco
Butter

Slice or crumble the queso fresco and put on two of the slices. Cut the avocado in half and slice while still in the skin, then scoop it out with a spoon. Stack sliced avocado on top of cheese and add the spinach on top of that. Then add a little more cheese to make sure the sandwich sticks together nicely. Melt a pat of butter in a pan over medium heat and cook the sandwich on each side until golden brown. This cheese isn't super gooey so I did need to cover it with a lid to make sure it melted nicely. Cut diagonally and enjoy!

I sure hope this brightens up your day. It did the trick for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment