Friday, May 11, 2012

Into the Yard


The sun was shining bright, the babe was napping, so I took to the backyard. We have had some success with vegetable gardening in the past, now that we finally found the sunny spot in our shady plot of land. The beds needed some tilling but they were in fairly good shape because we actually took take of them pretty well last fall by removing the debris and turning the soil.


I usually do not garden in my teal pants but I was in a hurry since I never know how long he'll sleep.


I planted two kinds of lettuce and some arugula.


The winter was so mild that I never pulled out the kale, it's nearly shoulder high and blooming.


My favorite flower bed/herb garden is at the foot of our back stairs. My husband created this little plot for me and I love to see it when I walk out of the back door. The chives are blooming and going crazy as usual. We also have mint, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and to my disbelief, cilantro! It went to seed last summer and actually came back, it's kind of all over the place but it's there so I'm counting it. I can't wait to get the tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers in. After several years of trial and error I think we have a solid plan to have a successful victory garden this year. What do you plant in yours?

P.S. If you live in the Cleveland area and are looking for some inspiration check out the Woodview Hope Garden! It's a generous and impressive garden that donates their harvest to a local food bank. 

2 comments:

  1. Loving the Woodview shout out! Our lettuce is out of control right now! Salads for days over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just so impressed with the work you all put in over there! And I hope our lettuce catches up!

      Delete