Tuesday, October 16, 2012

It's in the Sauce


Back on the quest of sneaking in extra veggies here. Yesterday while we were out and about I was trying to decide what we'd have for dinner. I still had half of a butternut squash in the fridge that needed to be used and when I thought "I wonder if I can make a pasta sauce with this." Being the way that I am, I just started to make something up on my own and then looked a recipe up later. And of course Ms. Martha Stewart had one at the ready for me. Here's hers. And now I'll tell you how I didn't really follow all the directions (read I never have all the ingredients on hand so I wing it).


Forgive me, I know these aren't the best photos...anyhow.

Ingredients
Butternut squash (and if you'd like sweet potato)
Garlic
Parmesan cheese
Olive oil
Rosemary or sage
Whole milk
S&P

Cooked pasta

Heat oven to 350. Dice the vegetables and peel the garlic, toss in olive oil and S&P and herbs. Roast the butternut squash (and potato) for approximately 20 minutes or until tender. Let cool slightly and put in Vitamix (or just any blender but you already know about my love of it) add cheese and milk and puree in to a sauce, adding milk as needed until you reach your desired consistency. I kept ours on the thick side. Add to cooked pasta and serve warm.




Baby boy was pretty sold on it being macaroni and cheese but it wasn't! We really enjoyed the roasted flavors too! It was the perfect meal for a chilly Monday night!

2 comments: