Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Give Me A Beet


I decided to branch out of my normal range of cooking and bought some beets. A friend told me that she makes beet chips for her kids and they love them. I was impressed so I decided to give it a try. 


Now I'm going to be completely honest with you and say that these didn't turn out all that great. I think the mandolin slicer that I used didn't cut them thin enough and we had some issue, burned edges and soggy centers. But the few that survived were very tasty and Oliver wouldn't eat a single one...but the beets are incredibly beautiful and I couldn't stop taking photos of them.




I based my recipe off of Martha's and this one too. I added salt, rosemary, and garlic to the sliced beets and cooked them in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. My goal was to get Oliver to try something new but that didn't work. I'm willing to give it another go but I think I need some tips. Anyone have any thoughts? If nothing else it's sparked my interest and most likely means that I will get a mandolin of my own one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment