Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Washi Tape Experience

I'm not sure where I first saw/read about washi tape. I know it was online somewhere but once I started using Pinterest I came across so many inspiring projects that I knew I had to get some for myself.


What is washi tape? It is a decorative Japanese rice paper tape often used in paper-crafting and scrapbooking projects. It comes in thousands of patterns and colors on a regular roll and is very similar to masking tape but one thousand times cooler.


We were given lots of sweet hand-me-down gifts when our son was born that were not quite our style but I felt awful just giving them away. So when I started to see all of these great projects online I decided to pull them back out. So first up is this teddybear picture frame with my son's name that was found by a friend at a garage sale.


Supplies
Old frame
Sand paper
Acrylic paints
Paint brushes
Scissors or exacto knife
Ruler
Washi tape



The paint on this old frame was slightly raised so I decided to try and sand it down a bit to smooth out the teddybear. I painted it with a couple coats of white acrylic paint and let it dry overnight. Next I made a few quick sketches to map out a design. I marked the measurements with a ruler and pencil to help me lay out the tape.


I layered the two colors of tape on so it kind of looked like plaid. It's really easy to apply and you can reposition it if you need to. I tend to do a lot of eye-ball measuring so it's nice to know that if I'm off I can move it around if I need to.


Now we have a nice new frame to show off cute photos of the little one. I think I already know the next project!














No comments:

Post a Comment