Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pickled Red Onions, Please



Whenever I go to one of my favorite restaurants in Cleveland, Momocho, I always order myself a side of pickled red onions. They are a brightly colored and flavorful addition to any Mexican inspired dish. They are tangy and delicious so I decided that I must try to make them at home. The recipe is pretty simple and really made our homemade tacos taste magnificent!


Ingredients
1-2 sliced red onions
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
A few juniper berries and/or a sprig of thyme

Thinly slice the onions. Blanch the onions in boiling water for about 1 minute. Drain into a colander and return to the pan. Add vinegar and salt, add enough cold water to just cover the onions. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute. Transfer onions and brine into glass jars. Let them cool then refrigerate for 24 hrs. They should keep in the fridge for about a week. I found another tasty looking recipe here! We had ours with pinto bean and veggie tacos topped with queso blanco. Yum!





2 comments:

  1. I can't even believe how easy that is! I need to start pickling asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It's so simple and I'm totally addicted now. I've been putting them on salads, sandwiches, and of course the tacos!

      Delete