Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Snack Attack


I am a serious snacker. I have found that since I've been home with the baby, I have a hard time figuring out what to eat for lunch if there are no left overs. I usually end up making something that is quick but not very filling so then there I am at 3:00 back in the kitchen.

So I'm pinning my hunger squashing hopes to this homemade Larabar recipe that I found over on Little Monter, which she found over on Chocolate Covered Katie. It's really easy and super tasty! I made a few changes to the recipe based on my serious dislike of raisins and subbed in apricots instead and went with all almonds. Once my little man is a bit older, I think he'll like these too!




Recipe
1/2 cup quick oats
1 cup almonds
1/4 cup dates
1/4 apricots
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2-4 Tbsp water as needed

Pulverize quick oats in a food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients minus the water and pulse until well combined. Line a 3x9 loaf pan with parchment paper and press the mixture into the pan. Add water if it's not workable. Or you can roll them into little bite-sized balls. Stick them in the fridge in an air-tight container and they should last at least two weeks. For my first attempt I made them into bars, but I think next time I'll try the balls and see how they work out. Mine were a little crumbly so I think a little more water would have done the trick. The vanilla extract sort of made them taste like raw cookie dough, yum. You can portion them out ahead of time for an easy snack on the go!

I also will make this disclaimer that the dried fruit makes these very sweet, so have a glass of water on hand. Enjoy!

Source: http://www.littlemonsterbaby.com/2012/02/homemade-larabars.html



1 comment:

  1. So great that you posted this! I'm going to use this recipe this weekend! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete