Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Super Tomato Sauce


Oliver has been on a bit of a vegetable strike these days that came out of nowhere. The only exception being the kale in his breakfast smoothies. So I had to come up with a plan.

I talked to a mom friend of mine about a "super vegetable" sauce that she'd read about online and that inspired me to make my own. Well sort of, I started with a jar of sauce from the store. Here's what I did.

Ingredients:
1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
1/2 red pepper
1/2 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup chopped frozen broccoli
Vegetable stock as needed
Cooked pasta
Parmesan cheese

Thanks to the Vitamix I can just put all the frozen veggies directly into the blender with vegetable stock. I chopped them on a low speed then turned it up and onto high to steam and cook the veggies. If that's not an option steam them on the stove and purée.

Warm the jarred sauce on the stovetop and mix in the super veggie mix. Ads grated cheese and stir into pasta. I just felt like this was the added vegetable meal that little man needed. The sauce was thick and tasted almost creamy. Give it a try and see what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment